President & Co-Founder
“Young children can always tell you what they want to be when they grow up—just ask any 4-year-old, and you’ll surely get a wonderful answer. We must keep these hopes alive for all kids as they grow and instill in them the awareness that the possibilities are endless.”
Don Danforth III co-founded City Academy and assumed the role of president when the school opened in 1999. He obtained a BA in English Writing/History from St. Lawrence University in 1989 and began his professional career at Ralston Purina Company. In 1993, Don was named education director for the Mathews-Dickey Boys’ & Girls’ Club, and later founded City Academy.
Don serves on numerous nonprofit boards including the American Youth Foundation, KIPP: St. Louis and Teach for America. Don and his wife Susannah have four children.
Awards and Honors:
- St. Louis Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Class of 2002
- CORO Leadership Center Emerging Leader Award 2004
- Salute to Excellence Stellar Performer 2007
- The Princeton Award for Community Service
- Opportunity Maker Award from Boys Hope Girls Hope of St. Louis